Monday, October 26, 2015

Go Blue or Go Home

I am a die hard Californian. After wandering the world last summer, I still believed that the golden state was the prime place to be. But something about Ann Arbor, Michigan charmed me. Maybe it was the trees shimmering in all their vibrancy, or the gothic collegiate towers stretching toward the sky. Though I was a first-timer to this place, this midwestern city struck a chord in me. 
A block off campus, I stayed in the heart of Ann Arbor with my friend Mariel, an undergrad at the university. It's midterms season, so we spent the the night of my arrival in the law library. I relished the grandeur of that great room, the intricate patterns of the lofty ceiling laced with gold reminiscent of my study spot of choice at my alma mater. 
I woke up at dawn to the chilled, crisp autumn air. The trees radiated warmth as I took an early morning stroll across the campus. I pulled my blazer closer, the click-clack of my heels resonating past the brick buildings tangled in ivy. 
Maybe the reason why I felt so familiar with a place across the country was the fact that the University of Michigan reminded me so much of my own college experience. The big public school. The sports. The familiar bashing of the rival school. The emphasis on research. The blue and gold (or "maize" in the case of Michigan). The college town. The university paraphernalia worn with pride. The only thing missing in Ann Arbor were the hills. A pleasant surprise. 
The final test for this town was brunch. The Afternoon Delight in downtown did not disappoint. The retro cafe was fashioned with quirky neon lettering the walls and black and white chrome decor. I ordered the Breakfast In A Pocket, expecting some dainty lil' thang, but was greeted by a concoction of eggs, bacon, cheddar, sunflower seeds, lettuce, tomato and ranch loaded into a much larger than average pita. We're off to a great start. My trusty hostess with the mostest ordered herself a breakfast sandwiched dubbed The Morning Delight as well as a The Muffin Delight, a hot muffin filled with vanilla fro-yo. Excellent. "Go big or go home," Mariel preached. I felt pretty at home.